Survivor Dish

The Dishchicks do Survivor! All the dish on Survivor: China. We can dish it. Can you take it?

Thursday, September 14, 2006

First Thoughts

Wow! What a great season opener for Survivor. Now that's a show! It was non-stop, go-go-go action from start to finish. Great challenge! Bravo to the music editor for brilliance in post! Well done everyone!

The racial element was pretty much what I expected - a non-issue for the survivors, for the most part. Their reaction was pretty much, "Well, that's kinda weird, but ok." The Latin team looked at is as an advantage, coming primarily from tropical climates. The black team looked upon as a challenge to "represent" and show that black people are so much more than they are often portrayed on television, Survivor especially. The white team barely acknowledged it at all, with the exception of a very awkwardly uttered "Go Whiteys," which was met with half-hearted enthusiasm at best. The Asian team, all had different views on the divide. Cao Boi (cowboy) saw it as a great advantage, because "who expects the little, slanty eyed people to be able to do anything?" The other (non-immigrant) members of the tribe were less approving, and just saw it as an oddity from production.

There are so many things to discuss, so many levels. What's most interesting to me is something I was discussing with my boyfriend last night. Our prediction was that there would be no racism across group lines, but that it would manifest itself within the groups, due to their own cultural biases about what someone of their ethnicity ought to be, and further the not widely known hierarchy that exists within the races, i.e., light skinned v. dark skinned. His heritage is Trinidadian, and boy did he call it right. Fortunately, gender warfare won out over intercultural racism in the end.
    ***lol...my inner cinema geek is showing, and that's ok
Amen for the sisterhood. I KNEW they'd do it! Finally! Women on a reality show who stick together, and don't let the men convince them otherwise with lame arguments about non-existent fire, or anything else.

I'll have more for you later tonight on this episode, as well as a word from Jenna Morasca! Thanks for coming. It's gonna be an amazing season!





7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really really really liked this first episode. I sort of had a feeling the racism would also occur within the groups, versus across the team divides. Breaking the teams up this way is pretty broad. It's going to be a very interesting season. It sure was nice to see the girls stick together. I just hope they don't merge the tribes too soon like they did last year. I have a feeling they won't keep them this way very long.

Do you think Cowboy would fly here to fix my migraines for me? I'd walk around with a pink forehead for a few days for no migraine that's for sure!!!

myspace.com/angelaaz

8:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the show, and I thought they picked the right person to evict.

One thing I thought was very poor strategy was who they picked to go to Exile Island. I mean, what was up with that? Wouldn't common sense tell you to pick the best person from the first place team, the Asian team? Why pick the older, overweight guy from the team that came in third? I just didn't get that.

9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never missed one episode of survivor...that being said i think it is great the way they have divided teams.I am wondering why did the "african american" team send the "white" team guy to exile island when clearly they should be sending someone from the strongest team?? anyone else wonder this?

10:17 PM  
Blogger CarolynBBDish said...

ddgirl: actually, i thought the women were brilliant to hang back and let the men make targets of themselves by choosing the exile island guy.
cindy: good, interesting points.. but it could go the other way too. they just bought themselves goodwill from the other teams, especially those who lost their chicken.

10:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They sent the "white" team guy because he stole the asian's team chicken. I don't think that was very good strategy myself... but then again they didn't let the women help make the right decision did they? Leave it to the men to screw that up *bitter much today? yikes!*
I think that the whole male vs. female debate was more interesting than the racial divide and I'd like to see how that plays out with the weeks to come. Some teams have 3 males and only 2 females, are they at more of an advantage? I doubt it, there always seems to be 1 lazy guy per team.

6:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I Loved the first show! It was fast paced, And Even though the survivors in the begging were a little shocked by the race thing in the end I don't think it mattered. I Don't care about the race thing either, i will be rooting for whoever plays the game well and entertains me!

9:17 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Yay!! I'm so glad you two are dishin' about Survivor! I loved the first episode. This is the first time, that I can remember (I watch too much TV) that I've really enjoyed the first episode of a reality show. So glad the Fall season is here.

7:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home